Gandhinagar is a birdwatching paradise, particularly because of the critical habitat (somewhat) has been preserved. Winter is generally the best time for birding. In order to maximize bird sightings, go very early in the morning and/or around sunset. Read on to discover the top birdwatching spots in Gandhinagar.
A Wilderness Park which is home to innumerable species of birds, reptiles, hundreds of nilgais, langurs and peafowls in its vast forest. Apart from that the park consists of a zoo, massive skeletons of sea mammals like the blue whale, as well as a vast botanical garden, amphitheater, interpretation center, and camping facilities. There are lots of birds in captivity a lot of them are not native. I does have a tons of native bird species in wild early morning is the best time to spot the below species.
- Indian peafowl
- Jungle Babbler
- Taylor bird
- Oriental magpie-robin
- Red-vented bulbul
- Common Myna
- Purple sunbird
- Black Drongo
Developed in the year 2005, this is a park in Gandhinagar which is known to house around 3500 species of plants. One of the distinct features of this park is that the garden is arranged according to the various zodiac signs in Hindu Mythology. Parks has become a habitat for a lot of the native birds. Before the sunrise is best time for spotting any the birds.
- Asian Koel
- Yellow-footed Green-pigeon
- Common Kingfisher
- River Tern
- Green Bee-eater
Other less visited places
- Sarita Udhyan – Has Limited bird species, common sparrow, peacock and jungle babbler are found commonly there.
- Sant Sarovar Dam – Dam is famous picnic spot for localities. Common crane and grey herons are spotted here.
- Central Vista Garden – A long walkers park has lot trees and home to few birds species. Common myna, common babbler and sparrow are spotted here.
- Lavarpur Lake – Has fewer birds but of different species, early mornings are the best time to spots the birds.